On Being a Woman who Loves the Bible

By Jolene.Leanne - 5:39 PM


Recently I was scrolling through a church website and there were a few options for women to study the Bible.  I was thrilled as I've been digging into the word and finding the pages of the Bible coming alive, moving my heart and mind.  Since going to Bible College I have missed deep study of the word and I'm so exited to find a passion for it again.  

But as I scrolled through the site, I was saddened by the topic offered. 

Oh.  The class was on women in the Bible.  

For a second there I thought we were just going to study the Bible as women.  Maybe read a gospel and develop a better understanding of the theology of Christ or discuss the exegesis of a good psalm.  For me, as a woman, I yearn for depth. I yearn for a greater understanding of God that I can apply to my life and that I can whisper to my heart when things are tough.  Even more, I miss good, beautiful depth in conversation that comes from studying the word and asking questions of one another.

I am both intellectual and emotional.  

And quite frankly, some day I feel a little undone with the soft platter of biblical food I get served as a female.  While I have no desire to be a pastor, I do have a pastoral heart in the sense that I long for all people to have the chance to learn and grow in the word - to hide this in their heart - and to see the way their hearts grow larger and their minds steadier with the correct contextual, cultural, and conceptual study of scripture.  I long for this for all genders.  

But as a woman, I acutely long for it for women.

It's not that these classes on women throughout the Bible do not teach people something or edify in some way - for surely these stories are in the Bible for a reason.  I'd be a fool to close my eyes to their goodness.  Thank goodness for Esther in the Bible.  Thank goodness for the example of Mary and Martha.  These have great theological truths we all - as men and women - can learn from.   

Everything has a place and likely this focus on women in the Bible will contribute to a greater understanding of God.  However, it is a part of a whole.

My heart yearns for the whole entire sandwich.  Genesis to Revelation.  

When I was at Briercrest Bible College I took a few biblical and theology classes as part of my degree and they grew me as a person and as woman who studied the word.

Forever since then, I have been on a journey of learning how to grow with God without a Bible College in my back pocket.  I know, partly, this is the way I am wired.  I also know I can't go back to unknowing after taking Biblical studies courses.  I know have a unique heart to study the word.  I know not every woman desires this type of study of the Bible.  But every woman (and man) is exhorted to study the Bible in some capacity.

My verse in this season has been Hebrews 5:11:

"We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again.  You need milk, not solid food."

This resonated with me.  Unfortunately.

My faith has been solid over the past years, but I've longed for teaching of scripture that could fill me and I've struggled with where to find it.  

A few years ago I met a guy online who had a theology degree.  At first I was exhilarated thinking, "finally, someone to teach me theology and challenge my mind."  Probably not a great reason to date someone, but I was longing for that at the time. I laugh about it now because for some reason I thought he could ride in a theological horse and impart all his wisdom to me.  Funnily, he was very opinionated and we couldn't have a back and forth conversation about faith that aided to my growth.    

Since then I've had a few good experiences in Bible studies I've been in and have settled into a rhythm of digging into the word for my own personal growth.   But sadly, for some reason I have found the community of Christ lacking in good, biblical teaching for women.

Even more, I've found the studies offered for women to be fluffy in content. Too often studies for women seem to be centered only on women in the Bible (again, an important study, but not good if it's the only study offered to women).  And unfortunately, at times the book studies I've been invited to as a woman were plain unscriptural.  Sadly, this can do damage to a person's heart.  Leaning on faulty interpretation of scripture does not allow a person to grow and, in the worst cases, turns a person off God all together. 

Again, some of these classes are solid and can be edifying.  I would not want to group them all together.  However, in my experience I've had to navigate such classes carefully and have felt tension around the teaching being offered.

Being a woman who loves the word of God in the way I do is lonely.  It shouldn't be because I believe biblical study is for everyone and that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).  I believe these words are for all people, all genders.  All backgrounds.

The word of God in it's entirety is for all genders.  I don't think women should limit themselves to study of truths about women in the Bible or studies on books that are not well rounded in scripture in the same way that I don't think men should skip over truths to do with women in the Bible.  Rather, I think that true biblical study involves the entire Bible and is for everyone.  Thankfully, we've made strides as a society through education giving equal opportunity for all people to read and write and; therefore to study and grow in the word.  I exhort my dear sisters in Christ to read the word, to dig deep and to have meaningful, deep conversations with one another about questions to do with theology.  I exhort you to learn how to study the word.  Apply critical thinking and discuss these things with one another so that you may grow in your faith and in knowledge with one another. Apply your heart to these things.  

From one woman who loves the word to another,

I found this funny and relatable: Women's "Bible Studies" These Days - YouTube

P.s. If you are a man reading this, thanks!  Hope you found something insightful here and that this inspires you to dig deeper into the word.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments