Back to the Bennetts

By Jolene.Leanne - 1:52 PM



In odd times, where the tides seem to change and things suddenly look different there are, in quiet moments, places for laughter, for bickering, for sitting around a table.

There was a weird stop to the world; in turn inspiring a different sort of start.

Over the course of the last few weeks, a different rhythm has emerged.

Early into this new rhythm, my roommates and I began migrating to our living room and doing life together.  Usually we are all busy with the different things we've got going on during the week and there are times that we rarely see one another during the week.

But with life at a standstill due to the coronavirus, life just naturally takes on a new way of being.

"We're like the Bennett sisters," one of my roommates joked during the first week we were all home.  Of course, being somewhat of an interesting, intermingled group who enjoys literature and the sense of togetherness this nickname stuck.

Fond references to the "Drawing-Room" and jokes about which Bennett sister we each best fit emerged with the realization we all hoped to exhibit characteristics such as kindness and wittiness,  independence and uniqueness.

In case you are not familiar, the Bennett sisters are Jane Austin's creation; a group of renegade sisters whose fairly unique quirks create the setting and backdrop to Pride and Prejudice.  Though the sisters are contrasting in manner and personality, there is a togetherness that defines them and a sense of familial attachment which draws them together.  They also often tend to sit in the drawing-room, participating in the pursuit of activities well-fitted to the 19th Century society at the time: piano playing, reading, cross-stiching, or drawing.


Being somewhat of an eclectic group, we noticed a pattern emerge as puzzles were pulled out, reading commenced, piano playing became a familiar activity, and different crafts and hobbies suddenly became the pinnacle of our drawing-room experience.  The area quickly emerged as the hub of activity in the home- a place to do life, to banter back and forth, and to chat about our days.

Although we might be more technologically savvy Bennett's, a Bennettness (if I can coin that a term) about us grew.

Not everyone has the privilege of roommates and life shared and I recognize this as certainly a saving grace in the midst of the changes in the world recently.  I'm thankful for this and this new rhythm; though I certainly miss parts of the old rhythm.

Change is not all bad- sometimes it is full of life and shocks us when we realize it's good.

I don't know if its my "hope-finding" bent to look for the silver lining in every situation, but for me, this has been a silver lining.

I struggle with connecting online, with finding that my heart aches with missing people when I do and that I am over-stimulated by too much technology, so restful afternoons or evenings with roommates brings me peace in times of uncertainty.

Laughter is the best medicine and my days are full of it with these people around.

My roommates quirks are becoming known to me.

The "Oh. my. goodness" that one of them utters keeps us all smiling as she fills in an adult color-by-numbers book.  My other roomate lets out an exclamation of shock or excitement just because and keeps life interesting with stories that are fun and random.  My dear friend reads a book in an afternoon and we all regale in it.   I chatter nonsensically about whatever my mind flitters to next.

This is life.

I don't mind the slower pace to it and the way that the change deepens the desire to connect- allowing us to see we were made for relationship, for loving one another, and for shared experiences.

Maybe we always knew it.

But now, we certainly see it.

We were made for connection.

And love.  Most certainly.  Love.

With care,

p.s.  I hope you are all well friends.  I certainly miss those who are not part of my rhythm lately.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments